Delta G.E.M.S. (Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully) was created to “catch the dreams of African American adolescent girls in 9th – 12th grades”, and is a natural continuation of the highly successful Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy. Delta GEMS provides the framework to actualize those dreams through the performance of specific tasks that develop a CAN DO attitude.
- Serves the greater Kansas City Missouri area.
- Meets the 2nd Saturday of each month (November – April) from 10 am – 12 pm
- Gives back to the community through service.
The goals of Delta GEMS are:
- To instill the need to excel academically;
- To provide tools that enable girls to sharpen and enhance their skills to achieve high levels of academic success;
- To assist girls in proper goal setting and planning for their high school futures and beyond; and
- To create compassionate, caring, and community-minded young women by actively involving them in service learning and community service opportunities.
Five major components of the Delta GEMS framework:
- Show Me the Money
- Infinitely Complete
Combined these components form a roadmap for college and career planning. Topics within the five major components are designed to provide interactive lessons and activities that provide opportunities for self-reflection and individual growth. Delta GEMS participants have the opportunity to define and “discover their individual brilliance.”
If you missed our Youth Initiative Open House, please reach out to FirstVicePresident@dstkcmo.org for an opportunity to get your child involved. The deadline is October 13, 2023.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact us at DeltaGEMS@dstkcmo.org